MATLAB Toolbox for the ImageNet Database
- Download the ImageNet structure in XML format
- Download the ImageNet release status in XML format
- Download full resolution images of a given synset and its descendants from ImageNet database
- Resume previously unfinished download tasks before starting a new task
- Obtain the synset definition given a WordNet ID
DownloadDownload (.zip) the latest version (V0.3) of MATLAB Toolbox
The ImageNet Toolbox is an accessory for ImageNet users. It helps users to download the data from ImageNet website to local storages.
Current version of the toolbox allows users to download the ImageNet structure in XML format and the full resolution images of a given synset and its descendants following the structure. It also provides users other useful utilities.
Please note that ImageNet does not own the copyright of the images. If you are a researcher/educator who wish to have a copy of the original images for non-commercial research and/or educational use, please first go to http://www.image-net.org/download-images to learn about the terms of using ImageNet data and sign up to obatin your username and accesskey.
If you have any suggestions or found bugs about this toolbox, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have developed useful functions to process ImageNet data and would like to share it with other people, please contact us or send posts in our Mailing List.
Get Started with the ImageNet ToolboxDownload the ImageNet structure and latest release status
You can download the structure of current ImageNet release (the same structure as in Explore page) at
Please note that there are dummy nodes that do not belong to the WordNet V3.0 (e.g. the Misc node).You can download the latest release status of ImageNet at
The toolbox enables users to download the full resolution images of a given synset and its descandents into your local storage. You can do this as follows:
- Go to http://www.image-net.org/download-images and learn about the terms of downloading orignal images from ImageNet. If you agree with the terms and sign up, you will be assgined a pair of username and accesskey
- Download the ImageNet Toolbox and add the code path to your MATLAB path
- Run the following line in MATLAB to download packed images of a synset (or a synset and its descendants):
downloadImages(local_folder, username, accesskey, wnid, recursiveFlag)where:
- local_folder is a folder on your local storage in which you want to store the image packages
- username and accesskey is your credential information
- wnid is the "WordNet ID" to uniquely identify a synset (accessible from ImageNet website). (gproot is a virtual wnid for the ImageNet root node). See API documentation to learn more about the definition of wnid
- recursiveFlag is a boolean variable indicating if you want to download the descendants of a synset
- After you have finished downloading, ImageNet structure will be saved as “structure.xml”, the latest release status of ImageNet will be saved as “ReleaseStatus.xml”, and image packages will be stored in the designated local_folder
The toolbox enables users to obtain the WordNet definition of a synset. You can run the following function in MATLAB:
definitionStruct = wnidToDefinition( structureXmlPath , wnid)where:
- structureXmlPath is the path pointing to the structure.xml, which is used to describe the structure of ImageNet. The latest version of this file can be downloaded it at http://www.image-net.org/api/xml/structure_released.xml. It can also be automatically downloaded and upgraded by the downloadImages function
- wnid is the "WordNet ID" to uniquely identify a synset (accessible from ImageNet website). See API documentation to learn more about the definition of wnid wnid is the WordNet ID that function use to get its definition
- definitionStruct is a struct which contains two members, words and gloss.
FAQHow to download the whole ImageNet database?
Please refer to the subsection Download the ImageNet database in the Get Started with the ImageNet Toolbox section on this page. Please use gproot as the wnid and set the recursiveFlag to be true when you start to download. From 2011 Winter Release, we also support to download through Subversion. Please refer to How to download by SubversionCan I resume the previous download task if it is interrupted unexpectedly?
Currently, the toolbox allows users to resume a previously unsuccessful download task before starting the new task. When you run the program to start a new download task, it will ask you whether you want to continue your incompleted task. Press Y to resume the previous download task first and then start new task; or press N to start the new task only.What if I want to download the synset by myself instead of using the toolbox?
You can always download full resolution images using our web-based API. Please refer to Download Original Images for more details. If you hope to use our toolbox to maintain your downloaded synsets in the future (e.g. image update, feature downloading, and etc), please read the following instructions:
- Create a DownloadStatus.xml file to record the status of your local synset copy. The DownloadStatus.xml is used by the toolbox as a local database of your previous download record. A typical DownloadStatus.xml can be found at http://www.image-net.org/xml/DownloadStatus.xml
- Place the DownloadStatus.xml in a local folder so that it is compatible with the first parameter of downloadImages function
Please keep in mind that each synsetTask must have a unique wnid. Any duplicated wnid in DownloadStatus.xml will cause errors when the downloadImages function is executed.